Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Moya X; Manosa L; Planes A; Krenke T; Acet A; Wassermann E F; Morin M; Garlea V O; Lograsso T A; Zarestky J L . 2008. Lattice dynamics of Ni-Mn-Al Heusler alloys. Materials Science and Engineering a-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 481:227-230.
Samavat F; Gladys M J; Jenks C J; Lograsso T A; King B V; O'Connor D J . 2008. Study of preferential sputtering and segregation effects on the surface composition of Al-Pd-Mn quasi-crystals. Surface and Interface Analysis. 40:433-435.
Stishov S M; Petrova A E; Khasanov S; Panova G K; Shikov A A; Lashley J C; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2008. Heat capacity and thermal expansion of the itinerant helimagnet MnSi. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 20:235222.
Zou M; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2008. Magnetic phase transitions and ferromagnetic short-range correlations in single-crystal Tb5Si2.2Ge1.8. Physical Review B. 78:014435.
Yan J Q; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Kracher A; McQueeney R J; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I; Canfield P C . 2008. Structural transition and anisotropic properties of single-crystalline SrFe2As2. Physical Review B. 78:024516.
Hill J M; McQueeney R J; Wu R; Dennis K; McCallum R W; Huang M; Lograsso T A . 2008. Low temperature heat capacity of Fe1-xGax alloys with large magnetostriction. Physical Review B. 77:014430.
Zong X; Suh B J; Niazi A; Yan J Q; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Johnston D C . 2008. O-17 and V-51 NMR for the zigzag spin-1 chain compound CaV2O4. Physical Review B. 77:014412.
Tan L; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Jia S; Lee Y B; Lang J C; Islam Z; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2008. Spin-flop transition in Gd5Ge4 observed by x-ray resonant magnetic scattering and first-principles calculations of magnetic anisotropy. Physical Review B. 77:064425.
Ledieu J; Leung L; Wearing L H; McGrath R; Lograsso T A; Wu D; Fournee V . 2008. Self-assembly, structure, and electronic properties of a quasiperiodic lead monolayer. Physical Review B. 77:073409.
Nandi S; Kreyssig A; Yan J Q; Vannette M D; Lang J C; Tan L; Kim J W; Prozorov R; Lograsso T A; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2008. Magnetic structure of Dy3+ in hexagonal multiferroic DyMnO3. Physical Review B. 78:075118.