Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Petculescu G; LeBlanc J B; Wun-Fogle M; Restorff J B; Yuhasz W M; Lograsso T A; Clark A E . 2009. Magnetoelastic coupling in Fe100-xGex single crystals with 4 < x < 18. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:07a932.
Ledieu J; Krajci M; Hafner J; Leung L; Wearing L H; McGrath R; Lograsso T A; Wu D; Fournee V . 2009. Nucleation of Pb starfish clusters on the five-fold Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystal surface. Physical Review B. 79:165430.
Shukla A K; Dhaka R S; D'Souza S W; Singh S; Wu D; Lograsso T A; Krajci M; Hafner J; Horn K; Barman S R . 2009. Quasiperiodic layers of free-electron metals studied using electron diffraction. Physical Review B. 79:134206.
Xing Q; Lograsso T A . 2009. A rapid method to correct objective lens astigmatism in a TEM. Ultramicroscopy. 109:287-290.
Petrova A E; Krasnorussky V N; Lograsso T A; Stishov S M . 2009. High-pressure study of the magnetic phase transition in MnSi. Physical Review B. 79:100401.
Xing Q; Lograsso T A . 2009. Phase identification of quenched Fe-25at.% Ga. Scripta Materialia. 60:373-376.
Niazi A; Bud'ko S L; Schlagel D L; Yan J Q; Lograsso T A; Kreyssig A; Das S; Nandi S; Goldman A I; Honecker A; McCallum R W; Reehuis M; Pieper O; Lake B; Johnston D C . 2009. Single-crystal growth, crystallography, magnetic susceptibility, heat capacity, and thermal expansion of the antiferromagnetic S=1 chain compound CaV2O4. Physical Review B. 79:104432.
2008Schlagel D L; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2008. Influence of solidification microstructure on the magnetic properties of Ni-Mn-Sn Heusler alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 463:38-46.
Xing Q; Du Y; McQueeney R J; Lograsso T A . 2008. Structural investigations of Fe-Ga alloys: Phase relations and magnetostrictive behavior. Acta Materialia. 56:4536-4546.
Stishov S M; Petrova A E; Khasanov S; Panova G K; Shikov A A; Lashley J C; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2008. Experimental study of the magnetic phase transition in the MnSi itinerant helimagnet. Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics. 106:888-896.