Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Shukla A K; Dhaka R S; D'Souza S W; Maniraj M; Barman S R; Horn K; Ebert P; Urban K; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2009. Manganese adlayers on i-Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystal: growth and electronic structure. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 21:405005.
Moore J D; Morrison K; Perkins G K; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; Cohen L F . 2009. Metamagnetism Seeded by Nanostructural Features of Single-Crystalline Gd5Si2Ge2. Advanced Materials. 21:3780-3783.
Du Y; Xing Q; Wun-Fogle M; Restorff J B; Clark A E; Huang M; McQueeney R J; Lograsso T A . 2009. Determination of Structural Anisotropy of Stress-Annealed Fe80.5Ga19.5. Ieee Transactions on Magnetics. 45:4142-4144.
Petculescu G; LeBlanc J B; Wun-Fogle M; Restorff J B; Burton W C; Cao J X; Wu R Q; Yuhasz W M; Lograsso T A; Clark A E . 2009. Magnetoelasticity of Fe100-xGex(5 < x < 18) Single Crystals From 81 K to 300 K. Ieee Transactions on Magnetics. 45:4149-4152.
Tian W; Kreyssig A; Zarestky J L; Tan L; Nandi S; Goldman A I; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; McQueeney R J . 2009. Single-crystal neutron diffraction study of short-range magnetic correlations in Tb5Ge4. Physical Review B. 80:134422.
McCallum R W; Yan J Q; Rustan G E; Mun E D; Singh Y; Das S; Nath R; Bud'ko S L; Dennis K W; Johnston D C; Canfield P C; Kramer M J; Kreyssig A; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I . 2009. In situ high energy x-ray synchrotron diffraction study of the synthesis and stoichiometry of LaFeAsO and LaFeAsO1-xFy. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:123912.
Deniozou T; Ledieu J; Fournee V; Wu D M; Lograsso T A; Li H I; Diehl R D . 2009. Aperiodic and modulated Pb thin films on fivefold icosahedral Al-Cu-Fe and Al(111): Tailoring the structure of Pb. Physical Review B. 79:245405.
Moya X; Gonzalez-Alonso D; Manosa L; Planes A; Garlea V O; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L; Zarestky J L; Aksoy S; Acet M . 2009. Lattice dynamics in magnetic superelastic Ni-Mn-In alloys: Neutron scattering and ultrasonic experiments. Physical Review B. 79:214118.
Dhaka R S; D'Souza S W; Maniraj M; Chakrabarti A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Barman S R . 2009. Photoemission study of the (100) surface of Ni2MnGa and Mn2NiGa ferromagnetic shape memory alloys. Surface Science. 603:1999-2004.
Yuhasz W M; Schlagel D L; Xing Q; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2009. Influence of annealing and phase decomposition on the magnetostructural transitions in Ni50Mn39Sn11. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:07a921.