Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Yuhasz W M; Schlagel D L; Xing Q; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2010. Metastability of ferromagnetic Ni-Mn-Sn Heusler alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 492:681-684.
Wu Y F; Kim G Y; Anderson I E; Lograsso T A . 2010. Experimental Study on Viscosity and Phase Segregation of Al-Si Powders in Microsemisolid Powder Forming. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering-Transactions of the Asme. 132:-.
Du Y; Huang M; Chang S; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; McQueeney R J . 2010. Relation between Ga ordering and magnetostriction of Fe-Ga alloys studied by x-ray diffuse scattering. Physical Review B. 81:054432.
2009Zou M; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2009. Spontaneous generation of voltage in the magnetocaloric compound Tb5Si2.2Ge1.8 and elemental Gd. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 488:550-553.
Yan J Q; Nandi S; Zarestky J L; Tian W; Kreyssig A; Jensen B; Kracher A; Dennis K W; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2009. Flux growth at ambient pressure of millimeter-sized single crystals of LaFeAsO, LaFeAsO1-xFx, and LaFe1-xCoxAsO. Applied Physics Letters. 95:222504.
Zou M; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Mudryk Y; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2009. Electrical resistivity and magnetoresistance of single-crystal Tb5Si2.2Ge1.8. Physical Review B. 80:174411.
Chernyshov A S; Mudryk Y; Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2009. Magnetostructural transition in Gd5Sb0.5Ge3.5. Physical Review B. 80:184416.
Misra S; Mozharivskyj Y; Tsokol A O; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Miller G J . 2009. Structural, magnetic, and thermal characteristics of the phase transitions in Gd5GaxGe4-x magnetocaloric materials. Journal of Solid State Chemistry. 182:3031-3040.
Shukla A K; Dhaka R S; D'Souza S W; Maniraj M; Barman S R; Horn K; Ebert P; Urban K; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2009. Manganese adlayers on i-Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystal: growth and electronic structure. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 21:405005.
Moore J D; Morrison K; Perkins G K; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; Cohen L F . 2009. Metamagnetism Seeded by Nanostructural Features of Single-Crystalline Gd5Si2Ge2. Advanced Materials. 21:3780-3783.