Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Noakes T C Q; Bailey P; McConville C F; Draxler M; Walker M; Brown M G; Hentz A; Woodruff D P; Lograsso T A; Ross A R; Smerdon J A; Leung L; McGrath R . 2010. Two- and three-dimensional growth of Bi on i-Al-Pd-Mn studied using medium-energy ion scattering. Physical Review B. 82:195418.
Petrova A E; Krasnorussky V N; Shikov A A; Yuhasz W M; Lograsso T A; Lashley J C; Stishov S M . 2010. Elastic, thermodynamic, and electronic properties of MnSi, FeSi, and CoSi. Physical Review B. 82:155124.
Ricci A; Poccia N; Joseph B; Barba L; Arrighetti G; Ciasca G; Yan J Q; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Zhigadlo N D; Karpinski J; Bianconi A . 2010. Structural phase transition and superlattice misfit strain of RFeAsO (R=La, Pr, Nd, Sm). Physical Review B. 82:144507.
Smerdon J A; Cross N; Dhanak V R; Sharma H R; Young K M; Lograsso T A; Ross A R; McGrath R . 2010. Structure and reactivity of Bi allotropes on the fivefold icosahedral Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystal surface. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 22:345002.
Wu Y F; Kim G Y; Anderson I E; Lograsso T A . 2010. Fabrication of Al6061 composite with high SiC particle loading by semi-solid powder processing. Acta Materialia. 58:4398-4405.
Cao G H; Becker A T; Wu D; Chumbley L S; Lograsso T A; Russell A M; Gschneidner K A . 2010. Mechanical properties and determination of slip systems of the B2 YZn intermetallic compound. Acta Materialia. 58:4298-4304.
Xing Q; Kramer M J; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2010. Influence of surface oxidation on transmission electron microscopy characterization of Fe-Ga alloys. Materials Characterization. 61:598-602.
Xing Q; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2010. Magnetoelasticity of Fe-Si single crystals. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09a911.
Petculescu G; Mandru A O; Yuhasz W M; Lograsso T A; Wun-Fogle M; Restorff J B; Clark A E; Hathaway K B . 2010. The effect of partial substitution of Ge for Ga on the elastic and magnetoelastic properties of Fe-Ga alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 107:09a926.
Sato Y; Unal B; Lograsso T A; Thiel P A; Schmid A K; Duden T; Bartelt N C; McCarty K F . 2010. Periodic step arrays on the aperiodic i-Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystal surface at high temperature. Physical Review B. 81:161406.