Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Storchak V G; Brewer J H; Lichti R L; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L . 2011. Electron localization into spin-polaron state in MnSi. Physical Review B. 83:140404.
Petculescu G; Ledet K L; Huang M; Lograsso T A; Zhang Y N; Wu R Q; Wun-Fogle M; Restorff J B; Clark A E; Hathaway K B . 2011. Magnetostriction, elasticity, and D0(3) phase stability in Fe-Ga and Fe-Ga-Ge alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07a904.
Yan J Q; Jensen B; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2011. Flux requirements for the growth of RFeAsO (R=rare earth) superconductors. Applied Physics Letters. 98:072504.
Sidorov V A; Krasnorussky V N; Petrova A E; Utyuzh A N; Yuhasz W M; Lograsso T A; Thompson J D; Stishov S M . 2011. High-pressure study of the phase transition in the itinerant ferromagnet CoS2. Physical Review B. 83:060412.
Lyubina J; Kuz'min M D; Nenkov K; Gutfleisch O; Richter M; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A . 2011. Magnetic field dependence of the maximum magnetic entropy change. Physical Review B. 83:012403.
2010Liu C; Lee Y; Palczewski A D; Yan J Q; Kondo T; Harmon B N; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Kaminski A . 2010. Surface-driven electronic structure in LaFeAsO studied by angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy. Physical Review B. 82:075135.
Tian W; Ratcliff W; Kim M G; Yan J Q; Kienzle P A; Huang Q; Jensen B; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I; Lynn J W; Kreyssig A . 2010. Interplay of Fe and Nd magnetism in NdFeAsO single crystals. Physical Review B. 82:060514.
Siewert M; Gruner M E; Dannenberg A; Hucht A; Shapiro S M; Xu G; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Entel P . 2010. Electronic structure and lattice dynamics of the magnetic shape-memory alloy Co2NiGa. Physical Review B. 82:064420.
Xing Q; Lograsso T A; Ruffoni M P; Azimonte C; Pascarelli S; Miller D J . 2010. Experimental exploration of the origin of magnetostriction in single crystalline iron. Applied Physics Letters. 97:072508.
Li H F; Tian W; Yan J Q; Zarestky J L; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Vaknin D . 2010. Phase transitions and iron-ordered moment form factor in LaFeAsO. Physical Review B. 82:064409.