Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007De Boissieu M; Francoual S; Mihalkovic M; Shibata K; Baron A Q R; Sidis Y; Ishimasa T; Wu D; Lograsso T; Regnault L P; Gahler F; Tsutsui S; Hennion B; Bastie P; Sato T J; Takakura H; Currat R; Tsai A P . 2007. Lattice dynamics of the Zn-Mg-Sc icosahedral quasicrystal and its Zn-Sc periodic 1/1 approximant. Nature Materials. 6:977-984.
Summers E M; Lograsso T A; Wun-Fogle M . 2007. Magnetostriction of binary and ternary Fe-Ga alloys. Journal of Materials Science. 42:9582-9594.
Samavat F; Gladys M J; Jenks C J; Lograsso T A; King B V; O'Connor D J . 2007. Surface layer self diffusion in icosahedral Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystals. Surface Science. 601:5678-5682.
Shapiro S M; Xu G Y; Winn B L; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T; Erwin R . 2007. Anomalous phonon behavior in the high-temperature shape-memory alloy Ti50Pd50-xCrx. Physical Review B. 76:054305.
Wu D; Huang M; Lograsso T A; McCallum R W; Mozharivski Y; Llobet A . 2007. Determination of stoichiometry and site disorder in the complex intermetallics. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 441:206-213.
Huang M L; Schlagel D L; Schmidt F A; Lograsso T A . 2007. Experimental investigation and thermodynamic modeling of the Gd-Si system. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 441:94-100.
Wearing L H; Smerdon J A; Leung L; Lograsso T A; Ross A R; McGrath R . 2007. Iron deposition on the five-fold surface of the icosahedral Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystal. Surface Science. 601:3450-3455.
Stishov S M; Petrova A E; Khasanov S; Panova G K; Shikov A A; Lashley J C; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2007. Magnetic phase transition in the itinerant helimagnet MnSi: Thermodynamic and transport properties. Physical Review B. 76:052405.
Erdelyi G; Mehrer H; Imre A W; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L . 2007. Self-diffusion in Ni2MnGa. Intermetallics. 15:1078-1083.
Richard M L; Feuchtwanger J; Allen S M; O'Handley R C; Lazpita P; Barandiaran J M; Gutierrez J; Ouladdiaf B; Mondelli C; Lograsso T; Schlagel D . 2007. Chemical order in off-stoichiometric Ni-Mn-Ga ferromagnetic shape-memory alloys studied with neutron diffraction. Philosophical Magazine. 87:3437-3447.