Dr. Thomas A. Lograsso
318 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2770
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2013- Interim Director, Director's Office
- 2012- Interim Deputy Director, Director's Office
- 2010 - present Division Director, Materials Sciences and Engineering
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 - 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 - 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics. Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 - present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1992 - 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2014Lazpita P; Barandiaran J M; Chernenko V A; Garcia B V; Tajada E D; Lograsso T; Schlagel D L . 2014. Magnetic properties of Ni40+xMn39-xSn21 (x=0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 at.%) Heusler alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 594:171-174.
Elkin F S; Zibrov I P; Novikov A P; Khasanov S S; Sidorov V A; Petrova A E; Lograsso T A; Thompson J D; Stishov S M . 2014. Thermodynamics of the ferromagnetic phase transition in nearly half metallic CoS2 at high pressures. Solid State Communications. 181:41-45.
2013Zhang Q; Tian W; Li H F; Kim J W; Yan J Q; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Zarestky J L; Bud'ko S L; McQueeney R J; Vaknin D . 2013. Magnetic structures and interplay between rare-earth Ce and Fe magnetism in single-crystal CeFeAsO. Physical Review B. 88:174517.
Hahn S E; Tucker G S; Yan J Q; Said A H; Leu B M; McCallum R W; Alp E E; Lograsso T A; McQueeney R J; Harmon B N . 2013. Magnetism dependent phonon anomaly in LaFeAsO observed via inelastic x-ray scattering. Journal of Applied Physics. 113:17e153.
Li T Q; Patz A; Mouchliadis L; Yan J Q; Lograsso T A; Perakis I E; Wang J G . 2013. Femtosecond switching of magnetism via strongly correlated spin-charge quantum excitations. Nature. 496:69-73.
Ramazanoglu M; Lamsal J; Tucker G S; Yan J Q; Calder S; Guidi T; Perring T; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; McQueeney R J . 2013. Two-dimensional magnetic interactions in LaFeAsO. Physical Review B. 87:140509.
Liu Y; Tanatar M A; Kogan V G; Kim H; Lograsso T A; Prozorov R . 2013. Upper critical field of high-quality single crystals of KFe2As2. Physical Review B. 87:134513.
Hahn S E; Tucker G S; Yan J Q; Said A H; Leu B M; McCallum R W; Alp E E; Lograsso T A; McQueeney R J; Harmon B N . 2013. Magnetism-dependent phonon anomaly in LaFeAsO observed via inelastic x-ray scattering. Physical Review B. 87:104518.
Wang L L; Huang M L; Thimmaiah S; Alam A; Bud'ko S L; Kaminski A; Lograsso T A; Canfield P; Johnson D D . 2013. Native defects in tetradymite Bi-2(TexSe3-x) topological insulators. Physical Review B. 87:125303.
2012Bud'ko S L; Liu Y; Lograsso T A; Canfield P C . 2012. Hydrostatic and uniaxial pressure dependence of superconducting transition temperature of KFe2As2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 86:224514.