Dr. Cynthia J. Jenks
Assistant Director for Scientific Planning and Division Director of Chemical and Biological Sciences
311 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8486
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Columbia University, 1992
- M.Phil., Physical Chemistry, Columbia University, 1991
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Columbia University, 1988
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of California Los Angeles, 1986
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- Assistant Director for Scientific Planning, The Ames Laboratory, 2008 - present
- Acting Chief Research Officer, The Ames Laboratory, 2009 - 2010
- Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, 2002 - 2008
- Associate Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, 1995 - 2002
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Iowa State University, 1992 - 1995
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- AAAS Fellow, 2012
- Iowa Board of Regents Award for Staff Excellence, 2006
- Iowa State University P&S Council CYtation Award, 2006
- Iowa State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Award for P&S Staff Excellence, 1999
- U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (shared with others), 1999
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Thiel P A; Unal B; Jenks C J; Goldman A I; Canfield P C; Lograsso T A; Evans J W; Quiquandon M; Gratias D; Van Hove M A . 2011. A Distinctive Feature of the Surface Structure of Quasicrystals: Intrinsic and Extrinsic Heterogeneity. Israel Journal of Chemistry. 51:1326-1339.
Shen M M; Liu D J; Jenks C J; Thiel P A . 2011. Comment on "Sulfur-Induced Reconstruction of Ag(111) Surfaces Studied by DFT". Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 115:23651-23651.
Shen M M; Jenks C J; Evans J W; Thiel P A . 2011. How Sulfur Controls Nucleation of Ag Islands on Ag(111). Topics in Catalysis. 54:83-89.
Anderson I E; Meskers C; Jenks C J . 2011. The Dawn of Materials Design and Processing for a Sustainable World. International Journal of Powder Metallurgy. 47:17-22.
2010Duguet T; Unal B; Han Y; Evans J W; Ledieu J; Jenks C J; Dubois J M; Fournee V; Thiel P A . 2010. Variation of growth morphology with chemical composition of terraces: Ag on a twofold surface of a decagonal Al-Cu-Co quasicrystal. Physical Review B. 82:224204.
Shen M M; Jenks C J; Evans J W; Thiel P A . 2010. Rapid decay of vacancy islands at step edges on Ag(111): step orientation dependence. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 22:215002.
Han Y; Unal B; Jing D P; Qin F L; Jenks C J; Liu D J; Thiel P A; Evans J W . 2010. Formation and coarsening of Ag(110) bilayer islands on NiAl(110): STM analysis and atomistic lattice-gas modeling. Physical Review B. 81:115462.
2009Jing D P; Unal B; Qin F L; Yuen C; Evans J W; Jenks C J; Sordelet D J; Thiel P A . 2009. Stranski-Krastanov-like growth of an Ag film on a metallic glass. Thin Solid Films. 517:6486-6492.
Unal B; Sato Y; McCarty K F; Bartelt N C; Duden T; Jenks C J; Schmid A K; Thiel P A . 2009. Work function of a quasicrystal surface: Icosahedral Al-Pd-Mn. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A. 27:1249-1250.
Duguet T; Unal B; de Weerd M C; Ledieu J; Ribeiro R A; Canfield P C; Deloudi S; Steurer W; Jenks C J; Dubois J M; Fournee V; Thiel P A . 2009. Twofold surface of the decagonal Al-Cu-Co quasicrystal. Physical Review B. 80:024201.