Dr. Javier Vela
Photoactive nanomaterials for catalysis, energy, and biology; synthesis, functionalization, and bottom-up directed assembly of semiconductor and metal nanocrystals; nanoparticle-polymer nanocomposites; sensitization/activation of transition metal complexes by photoactive nanostructures; organometallic chemistry and catalysis
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- 2007-2009, Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 2005-2006, Postdoctoral Associate, University of Chicago
- Ph.D. 2005, University of Rochester
- M.S. 2003, University of Rochester
- B.S. 2001, UNAM
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2009-present, Assistant Professor, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- NSF CAREER Award, 2013-2018
- Los Alamos National Laboratory Director’s Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2007-2009
- ACS Inorganic Young Investigator Award, 2006
- Messersmith, Hooker & Sherman-Clarke Graduate Fellowships, University of Rochester, 2001-2005
- ACS Inorganic Travel Award, 2004
- TELMEX Foundation Award 1996-2000
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Ha J W; Ruberu T P A; Han R; Dong B; Vela J; Fang N . 2014. Super-Resolution Mapping of Photogenerated Electron and Hole Separation in Single Metal-Semiconductor Nanocatalysts. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 136:1398-1408.
Vela J . 2013. Molecular Chemistry to the Fore: New Insights into the Fascinating World of Photoactive Colloidal Semiconductor Nanocrystals. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters. 4:653-668.
Lesoine M D; Bhattacharjee U; Guo Y J; Vela J; Petrich J W; Smith E A . 2013. Subdiffraction, Luminescence-Depletion Imaging of Isolated, Giant, CdSe/CdS Nanocrystal Quantum Dots. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 117:3662-3667.
Ruberu T P A; Nelson N C; Slowing I I; Vela J . 2012. Selective Alcohol Dehydrogenation and Hydrogenolysis with Semiconductor-Metal Photocatalysts: Toward Solar-to-Chemical Energy Conversion of Biomass-Relevant Substrates. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters. 3:2798-2802.
Ruberu T P A; Albright H R; Callis B; Ward B; Cisneros J; Fan H J; Vela J . 2012. Molecular Control of the Nanoscale: Effect of Phosphine-Chalcogenide Reactivity on CdS-CdSe Nanocrystal Composition and Morphology. ACS Nano. 6:5348-5359.
Alvarado S R; Guo Y J; Ruberu T P A; Bakac A; Vela J . 2012. Photochemical versus Thermal Synthesis of Cobalt Oxyhydroxide Nanocrystals. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116:10382-10389.
Marchuk K; Guo Y J; Sun W; Vela J; Fang N . 2012. High-Precision Tracking with Non-blinking Quantum Dots Resolves Nanoscale Vertical Displacement. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 134:6108-6111.