Dr. Aaron D. Sadow
Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Associate Professor, Iowa State University
2760 Gilman Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-8069
- Stereoselective organometallic chemistry, involving synthesis of achiral and chiral oxazolinylborate ligands, a range of reactive organometallic compounds, mechanistic investigations of their reactions, and development of catalytic transformations.
- Alkyl ligands containing b-SiH groups, which impart interesting structural and spectroscopic features (e.g., b-agostic SiH moieties) as well as new reaction pathways (such as intermolecular b-hydride abstractions).
- Surface supported organometallic chemistry, where the goal is to prepare 'single-site' catalysts and 'site-isolated well defined organometallic compounds on surfaces. Here, the ligand synthesis (oxazolinylborane, oxazolinylborate and silylmethyl ligands) and solution reactivity defined above will be applied to surface species.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- 2003-2005: Postdoctoral Associate, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH)
- 2003: PhD., University of California, Berkeley
- 1997: B.S., The Pennsylvania State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2011-Present: Associate Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2011-Present: Interim Director, Center for Catalysis, Iowa State University
- 2005-Present: Faculty Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 2005-2010: Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010: Sloan Research Fellow 2010
- 2010: NSF Career
- 2009: Poster Prize, Inorganic Reaction Mechanisms Gordon Conference
- 2008: Poster Prize, Organometallic Gordon Conference
- 2006: Wilkinson Teaching Award, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Manna K; Xu S C; Sadow A D . 2011. A Highly Enantioselective Zirconium Catalyst for Intramolecular Alkene Hydroamination: Significant Isotope Effects on Rate and Stereoselectivity. Angewandte Chemie-International Edition. 50:1865-1868.
Neal S R; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2011. Optically active, bulky tris(oxazolinyl)borato magnesium and calcium compounds for asymmetric hydroamination/cyclization. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry. 696:228-234.
2010Dunne J F; Fulton D B; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2010. Concerted C-N and C-H Bond Formation in a Magnesium-Catalyzed Hydroamination. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 132:17680-17683.
Ho H A; Dunne J F; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2010. Reactions of Tris(oxazolinyl)phenylborato Rhodium(I) with C-X (X = Cl, Br, OTf) Bonds: Stereoselective Intermolecular Oxidative Addition. Organometallics. 29:4105-4114.
Mukherjee D; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2010. Conversion of a Zinc Disilazide to a Zinc Hydride Mediated by LiCl. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 132:7582.
Dunne J F; Manna K; Wiench J W; Ellern A; Pruski M; Sadow A D . 2010. Bis(oxazolinyl)phenylborane: A Lewis acid-containing ligand for methide abstraction-based coordination to aluminum(III). Dalton Transactions. 39:641-653.
Manna K; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2010. A zwitterionic zirconium complex that catalyzes hydroamination of aminoalkenes at room temperature. Chemical Communications. 46:339-341.
2009Yan K; Upton B M; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2009. Lewis Acid-Mediated beta-Hydride Abstraction Reactions of Divalent M(C(SiHMe2)(3))(2)THF2 (M = Ca, Yb). Journal of the American Chemical Society. 131:15110-+.
Pawlikowski A V; Gray T S; Schoendorff G; Baird B; Ellern A; Windus T L; Sadow A D . 2009. Structure, bonding, and ligand-based reactions of zwitterionic boratoiridium(I) complexes with oxazolinyl scorpionate ligands. Inorganica Chimica Acta. 362:4517-4525.
Yan K; Pawlikowski A V; Ebert C; Sadow A D . 2009. A tris(alkyl)yttrium compound containing six beta-agostic Si-H interactions. Chemical Communications. :656-658.