Dr. Aaron D. Sadow
Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Associate Professor, Iowa State University
2760 Gilman Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-8069
- Stereoselective organometallic chemistry, involving synthesis of achiral and chiral oxazolinylborate ligands, a range of reactive organometallic compounds, mechanistic investigations of their reactions, and development of catalytic transformations.
- Alkyl ligands containing b-SiH groups, which impart interesting structural and spectroscopic features (e.g., b-agostic SiH moieties) as well as new reaction pathways (such as intermolecular b-hydride abstractions).
- Surface supported organometallic chemistry, where the goal is to prepare 'single-site' catalysts and 'site-isolated well defined organometallic compounds on surfaces. Here, the ligand synthesis (oxazolinylborane, oxazolinylborate and silylmethyl ligands) and solution reactivity defined above will be applied to surface species.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- 2003-2005: Postdoctoral Associate, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH)
- 2003: PhD., University of California, Berkeley
- 1997: B.S., The Pennsylvania State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2011-Present: Associate Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2011-Present: Interim Director, Center for Catalysis, Iowa State University
- 2005-Present: Faculty Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 2005-2010: Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010: Sloan Research Fellow 2010
- 2010: NSF Career
- 2009: Poster Prize, Inorganic Reaction Mechanisms Gordon Conference
- 2008: Poster Prize, Organometallic Gordon Conference
- 2006: Wilkinson Teaching Award, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Manna K; Everett W C; Schoendorff G; Ellern A; Windus T L; Sadow A D . 2013. Highly Enantioselective Zirconium-Catalyzed Cyclization of Aminoalkenes. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 135:7235-7250.
Yan K; Schoendorff G; Upton B M; Ellern A; Windus T L; Sadow A D . 2013. Intermolecular beta-Hydrogen Abstraction in Ytterbium, Calcium, and Potassium Tris(dimethylsilyl)methyl Compounds. Organometallics. 32:1300-1316.
2012Jana B; Hovey M; Ellern A; Pestovsky O; Sadow A D; Bakac A . 2012. Unusual structural motif in a zwitterionic Fe(II) complex of a tetradentate phosphine. Dalton Transactions. 41:12781-12785.
Ho H A; Manna K; Sadow A D . 2012. Acceptorless Photocatalytic Dehydrogenation for Alcohol Decarbonylation and Imine Synthesis. Angewandte Chemie-International Edition. 51:8607-8610.
Mukherjee D; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2012. Remarkably Robust Monomeric Alkylperoxyzinc Compounds from Tris(oxazolinyl)boratozinc Alkyls and O-2. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 134:13018-13026.
2011Manna K; Kruse M L; Sadow A D . 2011. Concerted C-N/C-H Bond Formation in Highly Enantioselective Yttrium(III)-Catalyzed Hydroamination. ACS Catalysis. 1:1637-1642.
Wu K; Mukherjee D; Ellern A; Sadow A D; Geiger W E . 2011. Anodic electrochemistry of Mn and Re tricarbonyl complexes of tris(oxazolinyl)phenyl borate ligands: comparison to tris(pyrazolyl) borate complexes. New Journal of Chemistry. 35:2169-2178.
Mukherjee D; Thompson R R; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2011. Coordinatively Saturated Tris(oxazolinyl)borato Zinc Hydride-Catalyzed Cross Dehydrocoupling of Silanes and Alcohols. ACS Catalysis. 1:698-702.
Ho H A; Gray T S; Baird B; Ellern A; Sadow A D . 2011. Allylic C-H bond activation and functionalization mediated by tris(oxazolinyl)borato rhodium(I) and iridium(I) compounds. Dalton Transactions. 40:6500-6514.
Jana B; Ellern A; Pestovsky O; Sadow A; Bakac A . 2011. Synthesis of Monomeric Fe(II) and Ru(II) Complexes of Tetradentate Phosphines. Inorganic Chemistry. 50:3010-3016.