Dr. Michael W. Schmidt
Ames Laboratory Associate
201 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-9796
- MCSCF wavefunctions
- inorganic chemistry of main group elements
- unusual chemical bonding patterns
- implementation of quantum chemistry algorithms
- high performance parallel computation
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- 1972-1975 B.A. in chemistry, St. Mary of the Plains College, Dodge City, KS
- 1975-1982 Ph.D. in physical chemistry, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1982-1984 Postdoctoral Fellow of Prof. Mark Gordon, North Dakota State University
- 1984-1992 Research Associate, North Dakota State University
- 1992-present Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory-USDOE and Iowa State University
- 2000-2001 Visiting Professor, Tokyo Metropolitan University
- 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008 month long visits to Institute for Molecular Science, Okazaki
- 2007 Visiting Professor, Ochanomizu University, Tokyo
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2009 LAS Professional and Scientific Excellence Award, Iowa State University
- 2010 LAS Professional and Scientific Research Award, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Schmidt M W; Ivanic J; Ruedenberg K . 2010. Electronic Structure Analysis of the Ground-State Potential Energy Curve of Be-2. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 114:8687-8696.
Glaesemann K R; Schmidt M W . 2010. On the Ordering of Orbital Energies in High-Spin ROHF. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 114:8772-8777.
2009Ruedenberg K; Schmidt M W . 2009. Physical Understanding through Variational Reasoning: Electron Sharing and Covalent Bonding. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 113:1954-1968.
2007Bentz J L; Olson R M; Gordon M S; Schmidt M W; Kendall R A . 2007. Coupled cluster algorithms for networks of shared memory parallel processors. Computer Physics Communications. 176:589-600.
Ruedenberg K; Schmidt M W . 2007. Why does electron sharing lead to covalent bonding? A variational analysis. Journal of Computational Chemistry. 28:391-410.