Dr. James W. Evans
Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
315 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-1638
- Spatiotemporal behavior in chemisorption and catalysis on metal surfaces: realistic atomistic-level modeling of reaction kinetics; analysis of chemical diffusion and multi-scale modeling of reaction-diffusion behavior; analysis of fluctuations in nanoscale systems.
- Fundamental statistical mechanical studies of far-from-equilibrium reaction-diffusion phenomena including kinetic phase transitions.
- Interplay between anomalous transport and reaction in catalytically-functionalized mesoporous and nanoporous materials.
- Self-assembly and stability of single- and multi-component epitaxial metal nanostructures formed by deposition on single-crystal surfaces.
- Growth and relaxation epitaxial thin films: submonolayer nucleation & growth of islands; multilayer kinetic roughening; post-deposition coarsening; step flow during growth and erosion.
- Realistic multi-site lattice-gas models for CO-oxidation on Pd(100), Rh(100), Pt(100), and other surfaces.
- Heterogeneous-coupled-lattice-gas modeling of patterns and fronts in catalytic surface reactions (HCLG is our Heterogeneous Multiscale Method).
- Statistical mechanical analysis of discontinuous poisoning transitions (including generic two-phase coexistence and metastability) in reaction-diffusion models.
- Modeling of catalytic conversion reactions and polymerization reactions in nanoporous systems with single-file diffusion.
- Continuous-random-network models structure of amorphous materials (e.g., mesoporous oxide catalysts).
- Formation of epitaxial nanostructures by deposition on a NiAl(110) binary alloy substrate, including analysis of alloy self-growth.
- Effect of chalcogen additives (S, O) on stability of noble metal surface nanostructures (including additive-enhanced coarsening and cluster mobility).
- Predictive atomistic and coarse-grained modeling of homoepitaxial thin film growth (for both submonolayer and multilayer regimes).
- Development of general multi-site lattice-gas models and KMC simulation algorithms incorporating precise kinetics (surface diffusion barriers) for epitaxial systems.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 1979-81, Chemical Physics, Iowa State University
- Ph.D. 1979, Mathematical Physics, University of Adelaide, Australia
- B.Sc. (Hons) 1975, Mathematics, University of Melbourne, Australia
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- Senior Scientist, 1996-present; Chemist, 1993-96; Associate Scientist, 1983-93; Assistant Chemist, 1982-83, Ames Laboratory-USDOE.
- Professor of Physics & Astronomy, 2010-present, Iowa State University
- Professor of Mathematics, 1996-present; Associate Professor of Mathematics, 1991-1996, Iowa State University.
- Visiting Scientist, Institute of Mathematics & its Applications, U. Minnesota, 2009.
- Visiting Scientist, Institute of Physics - CAS, Beijing, 2009.
- Visiting Scientist, Ecole des Mines, Nancy, France, 2000.
- Visiting Scientist, Fritz Haber Institute, Berlin, Germany, 1991.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2002-present.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Duguet T; Han Y; Yuen C; Jing D P; Unal B; Evans J W; Thiel P A . 2011. Self-assembly of metal nanostructures on binary alloy surfaces. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 108:989-994.
Ackerman D M; Evans J W . 2011. Boundary Conditions for Burton-Cabrera-Frank Type Step-Flow Models: Coarse-Graining of Discrete 2d Deposition-Diffusion Equations. Multiscale Modeling & Simulation. 9:59-88.
2010Guo X F; De Decker Y; Evans J W . 2010. Metastability in Schloegl's second model for autocatalysis: Lattice-gas realization with particle diffusion. Physical Review E. 82:021121.
Arora P; Li W; Piecuch P; Evans J W; Albao M; Gordon M S . 2010. Diffusion of Atomic Oxygen on the Si(100) Surface. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 114:12649-12658.
Duguet T; Unal B; Han Y; Evans J W; Ledieu J; Jenks C J; Dubois J M; Fournee V; Thiel P A . 2010. Variation of growth morphology with chemical composition of terraces: Ag on a twofold surface of a decagonal Al-Cu-Co quasicrystal. Physical Review B. 82:224204.
Thiel P A; Shen M M; Liu D J; Evans J W . 2010. Adsorbate-enhanced transport of metals on metal surfaces: Oxygen and sulfur on coinage metals. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A. 28:1285-1298.
Evans J W; Thiel P A . 2010. A Little Chemistry Helps the Big Get Bigger. Science. 330:599-600.
Zhang G P; Hupalo M; Li M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2010. Stochastic coarsening model for Pb islands on a Si(111) surface. Physical Review B. 82:165414.
Liu D J; Evans J W . 2010. Interactions between Oxygen Atoms on Pt(100): Implications for Ordering during Chemisorption and Catalysis. ChemPhysChem. 11:2174-2181.
Shen M M; Jenks C J; Evans J W; Thiel P A . 2010. Rapid decay of vacancy islands at step edges on Ag(111): step orientation dependence. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 22:215002.