Dr. Cynthia J. Jenks
Assistant Director for Scientific Planning and Division Director of Chemical and Biological Sciences
311 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8486
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Columbia University, 1992
- M.Phil., Physical Chemistry, Columbia University, 1991
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Columbia University, 1988
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of California Los Angeles, 1986
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- Division Director of Chemical and Biological Sciences, The Ames Laboratory, 2010 - present
- Assistant Director for Scientific Planning, The Ames Laboratory, 2008 - present
- Acting Chief Research Officer, The Ames Laboratory, 2009 - 2010
- Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, 2002 - 2008
- Associate Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, 1995 - 2002
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Iowa State University, 1992 - 1995
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- AAAS Fellow, 2012
- Iowa Board of Regents Award for Staff Excellence, 2006
- Iowa State University P&S Council CYtation Award, 2006
- Iowa State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Award for P&S Staff Excellence, 1999
- U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (shared with others), 1999
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Shen M M; Liu D J; Jenks C J; Evans J W; Thiel P A . 2009. The effect of chalcogens (O, S) on coarsening of nanoislands on metal surfaces. Surface Science. 603:1486-1491.
Shen M M; Liu D J; Jenks C J; Thiel P A; Evans J W . 2009. Accelerated coarsening of Ag adatom islands on Ag(111) due to trace amounts of S: Mass-transport mediated by Ag-S complexes. Journal of Chemical Physics. 130:094701.
Unal B; Jenks C J; Thiel P A . 2009. Adsorption sites on icosahedral quasicrystal surfaces: dark stars and white flowers. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 21:055009.
2008Park J Y; Ogletree D F; Salmeron M; Jenks C J; Thiel P A; Brenner J; Dubois J M . 2008. Friction anisotropy: A unique and intrinsic property of decagonal quasicrystals. Journal of Materials Research. 23:1488-1493.
Samavat F; Gladys M J; Jenks C J; Lograsso T A; King B V; O'Connor D J . 2008. Study of preferential sputtering and segregation effects on the surface composition of Al-Pd-Mn quasi-crystals. Surface and Interface Analysis. 40:433-435.
Qin F; Hunt B; Unal B; Jing D; Shen M; Jenks C J; Gleeson B; Sordelet D J; Thiel P A . 2008. Correlations between structure and chemical composition on oxidized (Pt,Ni)(3)Al(111) surfaces. Surface Science. 602:1092-1100.
Han Y; Unal B; Qin F L; Jing D P; Jenks C J; Liu D J; Thiel P A; Evans J W . 2008. Kinetics of facile bilayer island formation at low temperature: Ag/NiAl(110). Physical Review Letters. 100:116105.
Shen M M; Liu D J; Jenks C J; Thiel P A . 2008. Novel self-organized structure of a Ag-S complex on the Ag(111) surface below room temperature. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 112:4281-4290.
Smerdon J A; Leung L; Parle J K; Jenks C J; McGrath R; Fournee V; Ledieu J . 2008. Formation of a quasicrystalline Pb monolayer on the 10-fold surface of the decagonal Al-Ni-Co quasicrystal. Surface Science. 602:2496-2501.
Li M; Chung P W; Cox E; Jenks C J; Thiel P A; Evans J W . 2008. Exploration of complex multilayer film growth morphologies: STM analysis and predictive atomistic modeling for Ag on Ag(111). Physical Review B. 77:033402.