Dr. Andreja Bakac
Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Adjunct Professor, Iowa State University
29 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-3544
- Chemical kinetics
- Mechanisms of inorganic and organometallic reactions
- Activation of oxygen with transition metal complexes
- Catalytic oxidations
- Chemistry of reactive intermediates, free radicals and excited states
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- 1976-1979, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Ames Laboratory
- Ph.D. 1976, University of Zagreb
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2005-present, Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2000-present, Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990, Temporary Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 1984-2000, Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1981-1984, Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1979-1981, Assistant Scientist II, Ames Laboratory
- Visiting Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993:
- Visiting scientist, Tohoku University, Sendai, 1988 and 1990.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- Special Creativity Award, National Science Foundation, 2008.
- Professional and Scientific Excellence Award, Iowa State University, 1992.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Jee J E; Pestovsky O; Bakac A . 2010. Preparation and characterization of manganese(IV) in aqueous acetic acid. Dalton Transactions. 39:11636-11642.
Kristian K E; Song W J; Ellern A; Guzei I A; Bakac A . 2010. Preparation, Crystal Structure, and Unusually Facile Redox Chemistry of a Macrocyclic Nitrosylrhodium Complex. Inorganic Chemistry. 49:7182-7187.
Jee J E; Pestovsky O; Hidayat I; Szajna-Fuller E; Bakac A . 2010. Mechanism of oxidation of alkyl and superoxo complexes of chromium(III) by aquamanganese(III) ions. Journal of Coordination Chemistry. 63:2578-2585.
Szajna-Fuller E; Bakac A . 2010. Catalytic Generation of Hydrogen with Titanium Citrate and a Macrocyclic Cobalt Complex. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry. :2488-2494.
Bakac A . 2010. Oxygen Activation with Transition-Metal Complexes in Aqueous Solution. Inorganic Chemistry. 49:3584-3593.
Jee J E; Bakac A . 2010. Reactions of Mn(II) and Mn(III) with Alkyl, Peroxyalkyl, and Peroxyacyl Radicals in Water and Acetic Acid. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 114:2136-2141.
Szajna-Fuller E; Bakac A . 2010. Base-Catalyzed Insertion of Dioxygen into Rhodium-Hydrogen Bonds: Kinetics and Mechanism. Inorganic Chemistry. 49:781-785.
2009Szajna-Fuller E; Huang Y L; Rapp J L; Chaka G; Lin V S Y; Pruski M; Bakac A . 2009. Kinetics of oxidation of an organic amine with a Cr(V) salen complex in homogeneous aqueous solution and on the surface of mesoporous silica. Dalton Transactions. :3237-3246.
Chaka G; Bakac A . 2009. Two-electron oxidation of N,N,N ',N '-tetramethylphenylenediamine with a chromium(V) salen complex. Dalton Transactions. :318-321.
2008Pestovsky O; Harrata K A; Bakac A . 2008. Evidence for a tetraoxo intermediate in a reaction between a superoxometal complex and acylperoxyl radicals. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 112:7758-7760.